Campus Employment

What is on-campus employment?

There are three types of on-campus employment that as an F-1 student you may be eligible.

TYPE 1: Employment with SUNY Broome Community College

Work performed for the college is considered on-campus employment. At SUNY Broome Community College, international students are eligible for "College Work Study" positions. You are not eligible for "Federal Work Study" positions (see later section in this handout for further explanation of federal work study).

TYPE 2: Employment with an on-campus contractor

Work performed on campus grounds for an outside contractor is considered employment as long as the employer provides direct services to the campus. For example, work at the dining services in the Student Center or the campus bookstore (employed through the Faculty Student Association-FSA) is appropriate because those places provide direct service to students. In contrast, work at the Hoyt’s movie theater, the Subway on Front Street, or Starbuck's across the street would NOT qualify as on-campus employment because their services are not directly provided to the campus only.

TYPE 3: Employment performed off-campus which qualifies as on-campus employment

Some types of employment performed off-campus are defined by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) as "on-campus employment." There must be an official relationship between the college and the employer, the work must be associated with the college's curriculum, and the employment must be an integral part of your program of study.  The other State Universities of New York (SUNY) campuses (e.g. Binghamton University) are not considered “on-campus” employers for SUNY Broome students. Do not engage in TYPE 3 employment without verifying the employer’s status with your International Student Counselor FIRST.

How do I find a job on campus?

There are several places you can look for on-campus employment at SUNY Broome. 

  • You can go directly to the campus offices/departments to inquire if they have any COLLEGE WORK STUDY positions. Some offices such as the Learning Assistance Center are often looking for students to work as tutors or note takers. The computer labs also need student workers.
  • You can also go directly to the department that you are majoring in at SUNY Broome. They may have COLLEGE WORK STUDY positions that would also give you job experience in your field of study.
  • Lastly, you can go to the on-campus food services and the Bookstore and inquire about available positions. These positions will not be paid through SUNY Broome but are still considered on-campus for USCIS purposes.

When can I work on campus?

 You are eligible to work on campus at any time as long as you are in legal F-1 status.  Being in legal F-1 status means that you are enrolled and attending classes full time (minimum of 12 credits at all times) and that your academic progress has been satisfactory. While school is in session, you may work a maximum of 20 hours per week.  Please note that the 20 hours per week is the combined total you may work for any and all employers not 20 hours each.  Students holding jobs in more than one place on campus must be careful to explain this to their employers and limit work accordingly. During vacation periods (such as winter break, spring break, and summer vacation), you may work full time on campus. It is YOUR responsibility to be sure you do not exceed the maximum number of hours you are authorized to work per week.

What do I need to know about Social Security and Taxes?

 Once you receive a job offer, you will need to apply for a social security number if you do not already have a social security number before you can be put on payroll.  Please refer to handouts on obtaining a social security number for more information about applying for your social security card.  International students must pay several applicable federal, state and local income taxes like U.S. citizens.  Be prepared to file a tax return each year on or before April 15th.  If you have taxes taken out of your paycheck, you may be entitled to a refund of some or all of that money.  F-1 students generally do not have to pay (are “exempt”) from Social Security (FICA) taxes.  If you have FICA withheld from your paycheck in error, you can file with the Internal Revenue Service for a refund.  Look carefully at your pay stub to understand which taxes are being withheld.  Ask questions if you are unsure how to read your pay stub.

How is on-campus work authorized?

 There is no requirement for on-campus work to be authorized by USCIS.  However, you should meet with the International Student Counselor before seeking on-campus work. You will also need to complete a job application, I-9 and W-4 with the employer.  You will need to bring your valid passport, I-94 card, and Form I-20 to the Human Resources Office located in Wales 103 once you have a job offer.  You will also need your social security number to complete the payroll enrollment process.  Always consult with your International Student Counselor before accepting employment in TYPE 2 or TYPE 3 categories mentioned above.

Am I eligible for Federal Work Study?

F-1 students are NOT eligible for FEDERAL WORK STUDY positions.  Federal work-study refers to employment opportunities that are either partially or fully funded through U.S. federal funds.  Therefore, only students eligible for federal financial aid are eligible for federal work-study jobs.  International students are not eligible for federal financial aid.