REAP (Reserve Educational Assistance Program - Chapter 1607)

You may qualify for these benefits if you:

  • are a Reservist or National Guard member.
  • served on active duty on or after September 11, 2001, for at least 90 consecutive days.

Benefit guidelines

If you enroll full time, you will receive a monthly stipend for personal use (as of October 1, 2013) of:

  • $686.80 per month, with service of at least 90 days, but less than one year
  • $1030.20 per month for service of one-two years
  • $1373.60 per month for more than two years of service

Your monthly stipend will be reduced proportionately if you enroll part time.

Visit http://www.gibill.va.gov/GI_Bill_Info/rates.htm for complete information on current rates.

Your benefit affects financial aid in the same way as scholarships or other need-based education resources. It does not affect eligibility for Federal Pell or New York State grants.

If you were eligible for a kicker under Chapter 1606, you will continue to receive the kicker through Chapter 1607.

Benefits must be used while actively drilling with the National Guard/Reserve unit. Once you leave the National Guard/Reserves, your education benefit ends.


Students must verify their enrollment monthly by Web Automated Verification of Enrollment (WAVE) or by calling 1-877-823-2378. Students must be currently enrolled in an approved educational program and must have a current benefit award to use WAVE.

Documentation required for Chapter 1607

Please submit completed forms or document copies to the Veterans & Military Affairs Office, based on the description that best fits your circumstances.

If you have never applied for benefits and you are not eligible for Chapter 1606 benefits, submit:

If you have never applied and you are eligible for Chapter 1606, submit:

If you have had a one-year break in attendance at SUNY Broome, or used your benefit at another institution, or are currently certified under Chapter 1606, submit:

If you received your benefits at SUNY Broome within the last year, submit:
SUNY Broome Veteran's Educational Benefits Request Form