Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment
(Chapter 31)

You may qualify for these benefits if...

  • You served on or after September 16, 1940 AND

  • Your service-connected disabilities (SCD) are rated at least 20% disabling by VA AND

  • You need Vocational Rehabilitation to overcome an employment handicap AND

  • It has been less than 12 years since VA notified you of your qualified SCD

  • Note: You may be entitled to Vocational Rehabilitation (VR) services if you are rated 10% disabled; however it must be determined that you have a serious employment handicap (SEH).

    Regardless of your SCD rating percentage, you may have longer than 12 years to use your VR benefit if certain conditions prevented you from participating in a VR program or it is determined that you have a SEH.

Benefit guidelines

Benefits cover tuition, mandatory fees, books, supplies for a period of time determined by a VA counselor in the Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment Program. If the authorized enrollment period is extended, the VA counselor will notify BCC. Payments are made directly into your BCC student account. You may also receive a monthly stipend.

Your benefit amount total will be added to your financial aid awards package as need-based aid. Chapter 31 benefits do not affect your eligibility for Federal Pell or New York State grants.

Application requirements

You must meet with a VA counselor to apply for Chapter 31 benefits (not the veterans services coordinator at BCC). Once the VA counselor determines your eligibility, he or she will send a payment authorization to the Veterans Services Office. Within two business days Veterans Services will set up billing information with the Student Accounts Office and the BCC Bookstore