Travel Considerations

For Continuing F-1 Students

If you are a current SUNY Broome International Student on F-1 Status, this section is designed to help you plan your travels whether to Canada, your home country or another country overseas.

All students planning to travel should be prepared to travel with the following items:

  • Current unexpired I-20 with valid signature on page 3. Remember the signature on page 3 is valid for one year from the date it is signed and must be valid for the time you plan to reenter the U.S.
  • Valid F-1 visa with Multiple Entry notation (M) that will be valid for the time you plan to reenter the U.S.
  • Valid passport for at least 6 months beyond the time you plan to reenter the U.S.
  • Proof of maintaining status.  This can be a Letter of Enrollment or your Transcript – both are available from the Registrar’s Office.  Current class schedule is also recommended to show that you are registered full time.

F-1 Visa Expired

If your F-1 visa has expired, you will need to renew your F-1 visa, except if travelling to Canada/Mexico for less than 30 days, before you are able to return to the U.S. This is usually best done in your home country. If you wish to do this in a third country, you should consult your embassy regarding the restrictions and considerations. This is not always possible and if denied, you will not be allowed back into the U.S. from the third country but need to return to your home country to apply for the F-1 Visa.

The application is the same as when you first applied including updated financials. You should also bring documentation that you have been maintaining your status as noted above.

Change of Status within the U.S.

If you changed your status to F-1 without leaving the U.S., you will need to obtain an F-1 visa before reentering the U.S. unless you are travelling Canada or Mexico for less than 30 days. In that case, you are allowed to travel on your expired visa with the proper documentation of your current status as mentioned above.

Travel to Canada

For more information about Traveling to Canada, click here.

If you have specific questions about your personal situation, please contact the International Student Counselor.