DEAP (Survivors and Dependents Educational Assistance Program - Chapter 35)

You may be eligible if you are the spouse or dependent of:

  • A veteran who died or is permanently and totally disabled as the result of a service-connected disability. The disability must arise out of active service in the Armed Forces.
  • A veteran who died from any cause while such service-connected disability was in existence.
  • A servicemember missing in action or captured in line of duty by a hostile force.
  • A servicemember forcibly detained or interned in line of duty by a foreign government or power.
  • A servicemember who is hospitalized or receiving outpatient treatment for a service connected permanent and total disability and is likely to be discharged for that disability. This change is effective December 23, 2006.

Benefit guidelines

You will receive a stipend for personal use of $1,021 per month for up to 45 months (as of October 1, 2015), if you are a full-time student. The rates for part-time students are reduced proportionately.

Visit for complete information on current rates.

Generally, spouses must use this benefit within 10 years from the date their eligibility was determined by USDVA. Children must use the benefit between ages of 18-26.

Your benefit affects financial aid in the same way as scholarships or other need-based education resources. Chapter 35 benefits do not affect your eligibility for Federal Pell or New York State grants.

Documentation required for Chapter 35

Please submit completed forms or document copies to the Veterans & Military Affairs, according to your circumstances.
If you have never applied for benefits, submit:

If you have had a one-year break in attendance at SUNY Broome, or if you used your benefit at another institution, submit:

If you received your benefit at SUNY Broome within the last year, submit:
SUNY Broome Veteran's Educational Benefits Request Form