| || |
How do I pay the SEVIS fee?
The fee is paid to the DHS and must be accompanied by a Form I-901. It cannot be paid at a U.S. Embassy or consulate and it cannot be paid at the port of entry. The fee can be paid by you or by a third party, inside or outside the US.
To Pay By Mail
1. Obtain a Form I-901 “Fee Remittance for Certain F, J, and M Non-immigrants.”
2. Complete the Form I-901. Be sure to write your name exactly as it appears on your I-20 form.
3. Prepare a check, international money order or foreign draft (drawn on US banks only1) in the required amount in US Dollars, made payable to “The Department of Homeland Security”
4. Mail the completed I-901 and payment to the address listed on Form I-901).
5. A Form I-797 receipt notice should be mailed within 3 days of processing the fee. Be sure to make
copies of your receipt, and keep it with your other important immigration documents
To Pay Online
1. Find the Form I-901 at www.FMJfee.com.
2. Complete the form online and supply the necessary Visa, MasterCard or American Express information.
Download the SEVIS Online Payment instructions here. *Be sure to write your name exactly as it appears on your I-20 form.
3. Print a copy of the online receipt.
Be sure to make copies of your receipt, and keep it with your other important immigration documents
To Pay By Western Union’s “Quick Pay” Service
This option is available in any country where Western Union offers Quick Pay service.
1. The Western Union office collects the SEVIS I-901 fee in local currency, along with the needed Form I-901 data, and electronically transmits the payment and data to the Department of Homeland Security.
2. The Western Union office then issues a receipt that serves as immediate proof of payment for a visa interview at a U.S. consulate or for admission at a U.S. port of entry.
Western Union’s Quick Pay form must be completed in exact detail, following instructions developed by DHS and Western Union. These detailed payment instructions, including samples of properly completed Quick Pay forms, are posted on the Web at: http://www.ice.gov/sevis/i901/wu_instr.htm.
A Note About Processing Times and Payment Verification: If you pay the SEVIS fee by Internet, your payment is processed immediately and, at the time you make payment, you can print a receipt directly from your computer. This computer-generated receipt can be used to verify you have paid the fee at an embassy, consular post, or port-of-entry. Mailing the SEVIS fee does not constitute payment. The fee is processed when it is received by DHS. If you mail your payment rather than pay on the Internet, it can take a considerable amount of time for payment to be received and for you to receive a receipt by return mail. Whether you choose to pay the fee by the Internet or by mail, a paper receipt will be mailed to the address you provide on Form I-901. You may choose to have this receipt sent to you either by regular mail or, at an additional charge, by express delivery.
Will the DHS keep a record of my payment on file?
Fee payments should be entered into your permanent immigration (SEVIS) record but it is strongly recommended that you retain a copy of your fee receipt (form I-797) to use as needed.