Counseling Services

Personal Counseling - Information for Parents

How to recognize when your son or daughter may need counseling

  • Seems anxious, constantly tearful, or "stressed out"
  • Has interpersonal difficulties/relationship problems
  • Has experienced some recent or past trauma (i.e.- sexual assault, death of friend/family member) that is interfering with his/her ability to function in an academic or social environment
  • Exhibits odd, peculiar, or bizarre behavior
  • Loses interest in her or his personal appearance
  • Is more irritable or moody
  • Has little motivation for academic/social/occupational pursuits, appears depressed, withdrawn,   
  • References to suicide or self harm
  • Says things that  reflect low self worth or lack of hope
  • Significant changes in weight

What can I do if I am concerned about my son/daughter?

  • Communicate directly
  • Express your support
  • Try not to jump straight into problem solving mode
  • Be a supportive listener; listen to their concerns fully
  • Suggest campus resources
  • Refer to our website for information
  • Contact us to consult

Communicate your concern directly and be specific about the statements/behaviors that have you concerned.   When possible avoid making generalizations.  Let him or her know you are there to comfort and assist. Try not to lecture, problem solve until they have fully expressed what is going on with them.  Listening is often the best thing you can do for someone who is experiencing emotional distress.  Sometimes it is enough just to give them an opportunity to talk about their feelings but if it's not encourage them to look at the personal counseling web site for information on services and to see other online resources.  We are more than happy to talk to you about what services we may be able to provide as well as services your son or daughter may find helpful in the community. 

What kind of counseling services do the personal counselors provide?
Personal Counseling provides individual, group, consultative, and referral services for students Individual counseling   is usually short-term and time limited and students who require ongoing long term individual therapy typically make arrangements to see therapists in the community.  We offer  psycho educational and personal growth groups throughout the year.  Groups are also short-term and generally run between 4-8 weeks.
Typically students are seen within one week from the date they call to make an appointment. However, if it appears to be an emergency or crisis situation, professional staff will make arrangements to meet with the student sooner.  If a student is determined to be in a crisis they will be referred to the Crisis Center at Binghamton General Hospital.

How can I help my son/daughter find a therapist in the community?
For some students it may be most appropriate for them to receive therapy services in the community. For those who will be best served seeing a therapist in the community, the Counseling Center maintains professional contact with a number of mental health care professionals in the area. We are able to meet with a student and work together to identify a therapist who works well with the student's concerns and help facilitate a referral to an outside professional.

My child has been receiving psychiatric services at home and needs to continue to get medication. Do you provide psychiatric services and how can he/she make an appointment?
Unfortunately we do not have psychiatric services at Broome Community College.  If your son/daughter has been receiving psychiatric services and is need of continued services keeping the relationship they already have established with a psychiatrist would be advantageous